08/20/2010

08/17/2010

08/06/2010

08/03/2010

Drawing From Model Photography

I have always integrated photography with my visualization process and created a series of quick drawings for a proposed development in Singapore.  My architect friend David Klages built an incredible massing model out of foam core, cardboard and miscellaneous plastic components.  He then placed the model onto a reflective piece of dark plastic and photographed it with a black background. David emailed me the digital photos and I then turned the images into some of my first “Tradigital Drawings” - merging traditional drawing technique with digital imaging.  Here my the step-by-step process:
SING 4a Model 
Step One: Digital Photograph. David adjusted the overhead lighting, positioned a black background and photographed the study model on a glossy piece of dark colored plastic to simulate the reflections of this waterfront development.
SING 4b Smudged
Step Two: Digital Painting.  Using the smudge tool in Photoshop, I completely altered foreground model trees to give them a leafy appearance.  I also manipulated the water reflection to match the trees. This step began to disguise the model photography and add illustrative character to the view.
SING 4c Water 
Filter
Step Three: Digital Filter.  I added a Photoshop watercolor filter to continue breaking down the photographic dominance of the image and give it a more "painted" look.
SING 4d Sepia Tone
Step Four: Sepia Tone. Changing the black and white image to a softer sepia tone was a strategic step prior to printing and adding final color.
SING 4e Watercolor
Step Five: Printing, Draw and Color.  I plotted the sepia toned image 16"x24" on matte finish coated bond paper. I then added Chartpak AD marker color to the building and landscaping, finally adding people, landscape elements and facade detail with a graphite pencil.  This was one of four quick visual studies for the proposed development.

If you would like to learn more about creating drawings from photographs, visit my website www.drawingshortcuts.com and pick up my new book Drawing Shortcuts Second Edition.